Floodplain Management and Permitting

The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) provides flood insurance to individuals at much lower premiums than could otherwise be purchased through private insurers. In order for residents to be eligible for national flood insurance rates, the community must agree to meet minimum floodplain standards. This application packet is a tool to ensure that the minimum standards are met.

In a participating NFIP community, flood insurance policies can be purchased from any local insurance agent at the national rate. Even though the policy may be issued as if it were coming from the insurance company, it is actually a Federal NFIP policy printed on the insurance agency’s letterhead. The rates are determined by the flood risk zone in which you live and by the elevation of the lowest floor of your home, not by the insurance company, and should be the same regardless of which agent or agency sells you the insurance.

You may buy flood insurance for your own peace of mind, you may be required to buy it before a lending institution will make or refinance a loan, or you may not be buying flood insurance at all. Whatever the case, if the property which you propose to develop is located within a “Special Flood Hazard Area” on a flood map issued by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), you MUST obtain a Floodplain Development Permit prior to beginning the project. This is a requirement of the local Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance in The Hills, and there are penalties for failing to do so.

Floodplain Development Permits are ONLY required for developments in areas designated as “Special Flood Hazard Areas” of FEMA-issued flood maps. New structures, additions/demolition/replacement of existing structures, excavation, placement of fill material, drainage improvements, and water/sewer systems may require permitting.  

Flood maps can be reviewed at the office of your local FPA, or online at the FEMA website (www.FEMA.gov).  

Floodplain Development Permit Application

Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance